[RSS]: Designer of the minifig passes away

Brickset

Designer of the minifig passes away

This is slightly old news but I think it's important to post it given Jens' contribution to our collective childhood and hobby. On Wednesday last week former Chief Designer at LEGO, and creator of the LEGO Minifigure, Jens Nygaard Knudsen, passed away.

Thanks to Mark Stafford for the following eulogy:

I only met Jens twice, on both occasions he stuck me as full of energy and enthusiasm for LEGO and designing toys. For example, I took him to take a photograph in the LEGO Idea House and he noticed a classic-space model he had designed 30 years earlier was built wrong and just had to stop, get down on his knees and fix it! Jens was made Chief Designer after the success of the minifigure he designed and led the design team throughout the 1980’s and 90’s.

He designed the LEGO Minifigure, and had a hand in pretty much every LEGO theme between 1968 and 2000, including Classic Space -- he designed the entire first wave and most of the later models too -- as well as Blacktron, Aquanauts, Ice Planet, all the Classic themes, Castle,Trains, Pirates, Adventurers etc.

He leaves behind his loving wife, three children, two grandchildren and over eight billion little plastic people infused with childhood imaginations.

Millions upon millions of happy childhood memories are owed to this man. Thank you, Jens.

Please leave a comment, all of them will be forwarded to his family.

And, if you would like to do something in his memory: build a LEGO spaceship, he would have loved that. Hashtag it as #NygaardMemorialFleet and let's see what we end up with!

Continue reading »

© 2020 Brickset.com. Republication prohibited without prior permission.

View the full article

Адрес на коментара
Сподели в други сайтове